DIY Landscape Design: Essential Steps
Ready to take on a new DIY home project and have your sights set on your home landscape? We’re here to help! Check out these essential steps for DIY landscape design.
- Start with your front yard. It’s the first thing people see when they drive up to your house, so why not start there? Make it simple, functional and pretty.
- Install your hardscapes. This is most often the hardest part of DIY landscape design. Things like driveways, walkways, porches, decks, patios, you name it… should be constructed before you lay down a single plant.
- Take care of your soil. Add nutrients and organic matter to your soil that will boost the beneficial content and make your plants happy.
- Foundation planting. It’s time to plant shrubs and flowers around the foundation of your house. Make sure you choose appropriately sized plants that do not cover up your entire house.
- Backyard. Now time to move to the back of the house. You’ll want to spend a good amount of time creating the perfect backyard space for you. Fix up the deck, add privacy and shady spots if you need them, as well as play area for the children.
- Fire accents. Consider installing an outdoor fire pit, grill, or outdoor kitchen. It’s a great way to gather the family together for meal time outside of the kitchen!
- Side yard. Time to fix up the side yard! Think about what works with your family. Whether it’s an herb garden, storage area, or dog run, as long as it’s useful for you it will make a great side yard for your house.
Here are some final tips when it comes to DIY landscape design:
- Make sure you choose the right type of plants for your climate
- Know the full size of adult trees before planting baby trees in your yard.
- Don’t forget to add nice finishing touches like containers and hanging baskets.
- Incorporate your personality!
Just remember that there will be moments of frustration during this process, but it will all be worth it! Remember to prioritize your wants and needs when you feel stuck, and don’t forget to take progress pictures. At the end of the day you’ll have a beautiful home landscape design to show all your friends!
Evergreen Turf is your source for the highest quality sod in Arizona. Our friendly, knowledgeable people are committed to answering all of your questions to ensure a stress-free experience with your new Arizona sod lawn. Whether you wish to sod a small play area for the family or an entire golf course, Evergreen Turf can help you make it happen.
Our team serves customers throughout Arizona, including Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe and Tucson. Browse our website for information and tips on how to create and maintain a beautiful lawn, or give us a call if you don't find what you are looking for. Better yet, stop by and meet the team at our convenient Chandler location.